This Advertising Policy describes the guidelines NPL advertising department uses in accepting, displaying and removing advertising in The Nation, Weekend Nation and Nation on Sunday and on Nation Online web site. In this policy, “Advertising” includes the use of advertising space, sponsorship messages, promotions, and other contextual messages.
Nation Publication Limited recognizes and maintains a distinct separation between advertising content and editorial content. Nation Publications Limited has complete editorial independence in creating information, text, graphics, images, tools and other materials (“content”) in all its publications and on the web site. Nation Publications Limited does not allow advertisers or sponsors to interfere with editorial decisions in the creation or presentation of content, or to make any changes to its content.
NPL Promise to Advertisers
- We will meet your advertising needs in a spirit of cooperation and professional commitment that reflects high standards of marketing partnership, that will help build you through our products
- NPL shall respond to all advertising enquires on the same working day, late afternoon calls shall be returned no later than the next morning
- NPL shall serve you with sales professionals who are committed to form business partnership with you; to meet your needs for creativity and marketing expertise in dealing with all your advertising needs and to be your advocate in matters pertaining to your use of the newspaper
- NPL will honour any applicable written, advertising rate quote for the period quoted
- NPL will deliver accurate, readable invoices. Should your bill be incorrect, NPL will offer a credit note to your bill for the inaccurate entry
- NPL shall publish your adverts as ordered when ordered. If prior to a run date we fail to communicate any scheduling or placement problems with a previously scheduled advert, and the insertion is not run as ordered due to newspaper error, either a discount will be offered or in serious cases, the advert is run in the next available issue without charge
- NPL will notify you any and all rates changes in a timely fashion. All contract advertisers will be given at least 30 days’ notice through a letter delivered to you on top of the notice in the newspaper.
- NPL will give you clear and consistent credit terms as soon as a credit application is approved.
- NPL shall always provide the advertiser complete, timely and accurate readership and circulation information.
When Getting/Giving an Advert
- All instructions from the client must be written in the client instruction book form and/or purchase order from the client
- For all cash transactions, an NPL cash sale should be issued
- For all credit transactions a client should issue a purchase order.
- All quotations, payments made, instructions should be written on either Nation Publications Limited authorised stationery or approved clients’ stationery
- Withdrawal and cancellation of adverts can only be done within the set deadlines of adverts and in writing
- Clients should check their adverts on the dates booked
- Should there be a problem, a complaint should be made immediately
- Complaints from clients will only be entertained within the day of publishing the advert.
- For cash adverts, where a client has complained and a discount on the paid advert has been agreed on, the client will be refunded the difference
- For credit adverts, where a client complains and a discount has been agreed on, a credit note will be issued against the invoice.
- Only the same advert will be rerun in the event that a client wants a rerun, correcting the mistake only made by NPL otherwise the client will pay
- Instructions regarding contracts, insertion orders and cancellations must be made in writing.
- All copy, including all elements, is subject to the NPL’s approval. NPL reserves the right to refuse any advertisement at any time that does not meet publishing standards.
- Frequency rates are based upon a supplied written contract for multiple insertions during a single publishing year. To qualify for multiple-insertion discounts, all insertions during the publication year must appear on one contract. Advertisers billed at contract rate who fail to fulfil such contract will be billed at the rate corresponding to the actual number of insertions.
- When space is contracted and no copy instructions are received by closing date and/or time, copy in a previous issue will be repeated.
- Any advertising copy that might be mistaken as an article, commentary, or other non-advertising material must be clearing marked “advertisement” or “advertorial.”
- Advertisers will be invoiced for advertising space and related charges during the month of issuance. Accounts are payable 30 days net. Ads will not be run for advertisers with accounts over 120 days overdue.
- Advertisers and advertising agencies assume liability for all content (text, representation and illustrations) of advertising and for any claims against the publisher arising from such advertising.
- The publisher will not be held responsible for reproduction quality if advert material fails to conform to publisher’s mechanical requirements and the advertiser is informed but still insists to have the advert published, or if advert material is not received by the copy-due date.
- The publisher’s liability for any error will not exceed the cost of the space.
10. Advertisers and their agencies have dual liability to NPL in the event of non-payment for advertising space. That is, the agency is responsible for the client, and vice versa.
Publication Advertising Specifications
- High-quality PDF files are required and should be clearly marked with the name of the publication, issue date, name of advertiser, and any other identifiers that pertain. Files may be sent via e-mail or provided on a disk.
- Be sure to include and update all imported graphics and fonts within the final document.
- A customer-approved output is required. If supplying colour films, note that press inks may not match. All proofs must be a 100% ready.
- Advert copy provided is final unless updated instructions are provided by the deadline date.
- For all colour adverts, a colour guide must be provided at all times.
- Colour separates, typesetting and artwork are the responsibility of the advertiser. If such services are necessary, they will be billed separately.
Selection of Advertising
Nation Publications Limited, in its sole discretion, will determine the types of advertising displayed in their publications and web site.
Nation Publications Limited will not accept Advertising for any product or service that, in NPL opinion and sole discretion, is not in good taste, is dangerous or harmful, is not effective, contains false or misleading claims or is offensive to any individual or group of individuals based on age, colour, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or handicap. NPL is not responsible for determining if a product or service is ineffective, makes false claims or otherwise should not be accepted, but NPL will reject or remove the Advertising if it knows or learns that a product or service does not meet its guidelines. NPL will not accept Advertising related to illegal drugs, firearms, insulting, obscene or pornographic products.
No Advertising shall be permitted which may injure the good name or reputation of NPL.
NPL’s acceptance of Advertising is not a recommendation, endorsement or guarantee of any product or service advertised in its publications or on the site for the company that manufactures, distributes or promotes a product or service. NPL is not responsible for the content or accuracy of third party advertisements.
In addition, NPL does not endorse or guarantee any content, material, products or services contained on or accessible through links to other Internet sites from NPL web site.
Requirements for Advertising
All Advertising will be clearly identifiable as such, and will be distinguishable from editorial content. Any Advertising that could be misconstrued as editorial content will be clearly labelled as an advertisement.
NPL retains the exclusive right to determine the placement and method of display of Advertising.
NPL reserves the right to decline any submitted Advertising or to discontinue at any time, and for any reason, the posting of any Advertising previously accepted. If NPL discontinues Advertising before the end of the contract term, it will notify the advertiser promptly of the action and will provide the advertiser with the reason for rejecting its Advertising.
NPL, in its sole discretion, will interpret and enforce this policy and all other issues relating to Advertising.
Change in Policy
NPL reserves the right to change this policy at any time by posting a revised Advertising Policy in its papers and on the web site.
Compliance with Laws
It is the responsibility of the advertiser to comply with all applicable domestic and foreign laws and regulations. NPL will not monitor compliance of third party advertisers with such laws and regulations, but may promptly remove Advertising should NPL become aware of non-compliance or potential non-compliance with any of such laws or regulations or of these guidelines.