Government disburses LDF to Dowa

 

Government has finally disbursed the remaining 90 percent of money meant for Dowa Local Development Fund (LDF), paving the way for the Public Works Programme (PWP) to start.

The PWP, informally referred to as food for work programme, allows poor people to get money after working on community projects.

Dowa District Council acting director of planning and development Martin Pindamkono announced the development on Monday during the district’s management meeting where heads of government sectors presented their reports.

Some PWP beneficiary community members work on a project in their area

Pindamkono said LDF already disbursed 10 percent meant for administrative purposes and his office was waiting for the remaining 90 percent for the projects to start.

He asked all relevant sectors in the district to take their roles in supervising the projects which started on Monday this week.

Speaking in an interview, Pindamkono said Dowa District Council has been allocated K201 366 000 for administrative work, inputs and wages, among other things.

He said the district has 12 430 beneficiaries who will be involved in road maintenance works, afforestation, land resource, environment and fisheries projects.

Under LDF Public Works Programme, needy rural community members have an opportunity to work on a community demand-driven project for 24 days and get K600 a day which they use to help their families and buy subsidised farm inputs. n

Share This Post