Fifteen Malawians who fled from their homes in South Africa following the escalating anti-immigrant attacks (xenophobia) last week are reported stranded in Maputo, Mozambique.
The unidentified trapped Malawians fled their homes in KwaZulu Natal after mobs reportedly hammered on their doors ordering them to leave their possessions and go.
The 15, who include two children, are said to have been fleeing by road when they met a good Samaritan, a Mozambican national, who picked them to his residence.
Department of Disaster Management Affairs (Dodma) spokesperson Jeremiah Mphande confirmed the development yesterday in an interview.
He said plans were underway to repatriate the trapped Malawians.
Mphande said as the Malawian group was running away from the xenophobic attacks, a Mozambican truck driver stopped by and took them to Maputo.
Said Mphande: “They [Malawians] are currently being kept at his [the driver’s] residence in Maputo. But we are in touch with our High Commission in Maputo to ensure that these Malawians are brought back home soon and also find out where parents of the children are.”
The 15 Malawians, as we went to press, were yet to be repatriated as government, through the High Commission in Maputo, was still working on logistical arrangements.
On Monday night, 390 Malawians arrived home from the port city of Durban in South Africa where the anti-immigrant violence started two weeks ago.
Government has since confirmed the death of two Malawian nationals, one of whom was already buried in Durban due to the state of his body while government is reportedly working on bringing home the other body. n