Miss Malawi Susan Mtegha will by all means participate in this yearâ€™s Miss World finals in China next month, Artistic Agency director Vitu Kamanga has said.
The Miss Malawi organising chairperson was clearing uncertainty over the beauty queenâ€™s fate following reports that she needs K1 million more to make the trip.
â€œWe have made headway in our efforts to ensure our queen contests at the Miss World this year. They sent us entry and license forms last week. We filled and sent them back. Mtegha is now listed among the participants,â€ said Kamanga, adding they have trimmed the budget because they have not yet sourced the balance.
The K2 million-trip has only sourced a K1 million, pledge from the Ministry of Tourism and Culture.
â€œWe cannot fail to send the queen with this in our account,â€ Kamanga asserted.
However, Mteghaâ€™s name is missing on the list of participants posted on Miss World website.
In an interview, Mtegha said she was impressed by the efforts and hoped other well-wishers will come in to help her, especially with living expenses and make-up.
She said: â€œThere are a lot of needs in the country which need the services of beauty queens. Participating at Miss World brings access to international funds and exposure. Thatâ€™s why Malawi needs to compete at Miss World 2012. There are vast opportunities to make new relationships with people, companies and organisations.â€
Mtegha also sent an SOS to President Joyce Banda to ensure the countryâ€™s flag flies at the global event which starts August 18. She is supposed to leave the country on Monday.