Cosafa courts two potential cup hosts

Council for Southern Africa Football Associations (Cosafa) has courted two associations for possible hosting of the 2019 Cosafa Cup, almost a week after Zimbabwe turned down the hosting rights.

Cosafa deputy chief executive officer responsible for competitions Suzgo Nyirenda confirmed the development in an interview from Johannesburg, South Africa yesterday, but was tight-lipped on the names of the potential hosts.

Flames defender John Lanjesi being challenged by Botswana’s Tumisang Orebonye during last year’s tourney

“We are making progress as we are discussing with two member associations that have shown interest,” he said.

“By the end of the week, we should be able to inform the football fraternity where the tournament will be held. But what you should know is that the contest will take place without fail,” he said

The regional competition was supposed to be staged from May 26 to June 8, but there will be some logistical changes as Cosafa searches for the new hosts after Zimbabwe, who last hosted the event in 2009, felt they could not embrace it due to limited time.

According to www.herald.co.zw, Zimbabwe’s Minister of Youth, Sport, Arts and Recreation Kirsty Coventry announced that their country was not given enough time to prepare a classy event as requested by Cosafa.

“It has been agreed that, at this time, the deal is not good for the country or Zifa [Zimbabwe Football Association].

“So, we will not be hosting the Cosafa games this year. But we look forward to having adequate time to be able to host a world-class event in the near future,” she was quoted as having said.

Zifa president Felton Kamambo said they accepted the arrangement by the Zimbabwe government and they are likely to settle for the 2021 bid.

South Africa hosted last year’s contest which saw the Flames failing to cross the group stage line.

Share This Post

One Comment - Write a Comment

Comments are closed.