Death toll rises to 56, SA team in

The death toll in the aftermath of the floods that hit the country last week has risen from 45 to 56, Department of Disaster Management Affairs (Dodma) records show.

Meanwhile, a seven-member rescue team from South Africa arrived in the country yesterday to assess the situation.

Part of the SA rescue team in Blantyre yesterday

Thulani Nzuza of the National Disaster Management Centre said the South African government is ready to render any support to Malawi after undertaking an assessment.

The team arrived around 7am through Chileka Airport and had a meeting with Dodma team in Blantyre.

Said Nzuza on arrival: “We have had a briefing with a Malawi team. We want to know the structures in place, what is needed and to know the situation on the ground.

“We are a team of seven, comprising people from various [departments] like from communicable diseases, medical team, general medicals, operation team.”

Dodma Principal Secretary Wilson Moleni said the South African team is expected to visit Nsanje and Chikwawa victims today.

He also confirmed the death toll, saying the figures have been recorded after a meeting they had with district commissioners in the affected areas on Tuesday.

He said Chikwawa is the hardest hit district with eight deaths recorded.

Moleni appealed for support: “Now we need maize flour, rice, beans, plastic plates, plastic sheets, and buckets among others.”

A total of 184 589 households that’s approximately 922 945 people have been affected and 16 545 households have been displaced. So far 187 camps have been established in the 14 districts affected.

Share This Post