In an interview with on Monday, Wiseman Gondwe, the officer responsible for compensations at Mzimba DC sub-office in Mzuzu, said the land owners were compensated on November 30 2011.
“Yes, people who will lose their crops and structures due to the project have all been compensated. FAM and Lands, Housing and Surveys Department who were behind the assessment and evaluation of the crops and structures can comment on when the people are expected to vacate the land,” Gondwe said. He said 17 households were compensated during the exercise.
Gondwe said K1 874 960 ($11 222) was paid to the land owners to compensate for loss of crops whereas K6 665 000 ($40 000) was used to compensate for loss of buildings.
Chief Bulamusaka, who at one point threatened to derail the project if his subjects were not compensated, confirmed to have received the money. He, however, said the money was not enough as he expected to get at least K500 000 ($3 000) per building.
But when asked when he will vacate the site, the chief said they agreed that he and his subjects should vacate the project site by December 2013.
FAM general secretary Suzgo Nyirenda claimed those compensated were told to leave in December last year and were given 14 days to relocate.