JB guards partially disarmed

 

Malawi Government has disarmed two of the security officers that immediate past president Joyce Banda has been using since leaving office after her loss in the May 20 2014 Tripartite Elections.

Speaking on behalf of Banda, her press aide Tusekelo Mwanyongo confirmed the reduction yesterday, saying the security objects were taken away last week.JB back in town

He said: “The security officers were asked to surrender two firearms and rounds of ammunition last week Saturday, April 18.  But since security matters are complex in nature, I would not want to go into details.”

However, Mwanyongo said the security personnel were told that the firearms were being taken away to balance with what the other former president Bakili Muluzi (1994 to 2004) security people have.

He said: “If the reason provided was genuine, we have no issue. Actually, we are not complaining because the rest of the firearms are still intact.”

Banda has been out of the country since July last year, flying between the United States of America, Europe and Africa (notably, Ethiopia and South Africa), addressing various international fora.

But when contacted yesterday, Inspector General (IG) of Police Lexten Kachama feigned ignorance, saying he was not aware about the development.

“I have no knowledge. I have not been told if there was anything of that nature. It is news to me,” he said.

But a police source said yesterday the seized devices were handed over to National Police Headquarters in Lilongwe and it may be possible that the IG may not have been briefed yet because he was away in South-East Asia.

At one point, Muluzi also had firearms for his security personnel taken away and the number of guards reduced by four.

The Constitution does not state the number of guards to be provided to a former president upon leaving office.

 

 

Share This Post