FAM has changed its tune on its earlier decision not to take part in any of the CAF junior tournaments this year.
Football Association of Malawi (FAM) president Walter Nyamilandu last year told The Nation that due to financial constraints, the junior national teams [Under-17 and Under-20] would not take part in the continental tournaments.
However, FAM chief executive officer Suzgo Nyirenda said following government’s announcement that it will sponsor one of the junior team’s participation, the association’s technical subcommittee proposed that the U-20 team should take part in the 2015 CAF Youth Championship scheduled to kick-off in April.
“To that effect, the technical director John Kaputa has already embarked on the identification programme pending further consultations with government,” said Nyirenda.
According to a press statement issued yesterday signed by FAM competitions officer Gomezgani Zakazaka, Kaputa said he is targeting players who were part of the 2012 Under-17 team that took part in the CAF Youth Championship and the Zone VI games.
“The players, who must have been born after January 1 1995 are requested to go to the following centres with their passports on Saturday, January 11 2014 from 8am for registration: South: BAT ground; Centre: Lilongwe Community Centre ground; North: Katoto Secondary School ground,” reads part of the statement.
Kaputa said players that were not part of the Under-17 team but have passports are also encouraged to go for the exercise. The players will then be called for trials at a later stage.
He said the door is not closed for talented players without passports, saying they must process their travel documents on their own, but must come for trials when the dates are announced.