National News

Blantyre family destitute after fire guts house

A Blantyre-based family has been rendered homeless after severe fire reduced its residence to ashes at Chemusa Township yesterday, damaging property worth over K3 million.

The house, located about 200 metres from Motel Paradise along the Zalewa Road, belongs to Wilfred Adami, a former employee of Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (Escom).

fireThe fire is said to have originated from the house’s main switch just after 7:30am before it spread to other parts of the house.

However, a disheartened Adami said in an interview he could not tell the actual cause of the fire that took Blantyre City Council (BCC) fire brigade nearly two hours to completely quell it.

“We were alerted by children who saw the smoke. They said there was a spark on the main switch before they saw a thick smoke behind the fridge which was just under the switch,” he said.

Eye witnesses blamed the BCC fire team for responding to the incident almost an hour late after the fire begun.

Related Articles

Back to top button