When mob justice myths leave trail of blood
Like any other day, dawn broke peacefully on Saturday, May 9, as 42-year-old Madalitso Joe William went about his daily routine.
He opened his shop at Malemia Health Centre Market before setting off for Mtemangawo Village to inspect a house he was constructing.

William, originally from Nyangu Village under Senior Chief Makhuwira in Chikwawa District but residing in Traditional Authority (T/A) Malemia in Nsanje, had no idea the journey would be his last.
At around 1pm, he reportedly lost his way and, by chance, met a 15-year-old boy identified as Josephy Blessings, whom he innocently asked for directions to the main road leading to his destination.
What followed was tragic.
The teenager allegedly fabricated claims that his genitals had disappeared after encountering William.
Within moments, angry villagers regrouped, descended on the scene and violently attacked the father of six.
Despite repeatedly denying the accusation and swearing in the name of Jesus Christ that he knew nothing about the claims, the mob showed no mercy.
The assault continued relentlessly until William breathed his last, bringing to a brutal end a life that began on August 17 1983.
William’s death is not an isolated incident. Seven other people—two from Nsanje, including William, and six from Chikwawa—have also reportedly lost their lives after communities in the two districts attacked them over unfounded allegations of genital disappearance.
The killings have exposed the devastating consequences of misinformation, mob justice and fear-driven violence, threatening not only social cohesion but also violating the fundamental right to life enshrined under Section 16 of the Constitution of Malawi.
The violence also runs counter to Article 3 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and undermines Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 16, which promotes peaceful and inclusive societies, access to justice and strong institutions.
Speaking in a phone interview from Nyangu Village in Chikwawa, William’s 76-year-old mother, Ellece Amon, struggled to come to terms with the death of her son, whom she described as the family’s pillar of support.
“When my daughter-in-law, Alice Njobvu, called me around 3pm and told me Madalitso had been assaulted, my mind went blank. My whole body became numb,” she said.
“I have so many questions, but there are no answers regarding the death of my son Madalitso, who was the breadwinner of our family,” added the septuagenarian.
Amon explained that she had five children—three sons and two daughters—but only two sons are now alive.
“Everyone depended on him. He has left behind four sons and two daughters. I do not even know how we will survive now,” she lamented.
Overwhelmed by grief, the elderly mother said she wants justice for her son, describing the killing as barbaric and inhumane.
“I can no longer force happiness after what happened to my child. I do not think there will ever be anything sweet enough on earth to make me happy again, maybe only after seeing the people who mercilessly killed my son punished,” she said, sounding sobbing and emotional on the phone.
Village Head Teresa Charlie from T/A Malemia also expressed anguish over the incident, saying the tragedy has brought suffering to her family as several relatives who attempted to shield William from the violent mob have since been arrested.
She said her father rushed to the police station seeking assistance after failing to rescue William from the crowd.
Acting T/A Malemia Lawrence Malemia Msamange condemned the killing and dismissed the claims of disappearing genitals as baseless and dangerous misinformation.
“It is not true that people’s genitals are disappearing,” he said while calling on authorities to arrest everyone involved in the murder.
Msamange said he is mourning with the bereaved family in Nyangu Village and expressed concern over social media posts allegedly linking local leaders to the deaths.
Since the rumours emerged last week, culminating in the loss of eight lives in the two disaster-prone districts, communities have continued carrying out mob attacks on innocent people.
The violence has resulted in the arrest of more than 90 suspects in both districts in connection with the attacks.
The developments have compelled the National Initiative for Civic Education (Nice) Public Trust to intensify civic education campaigns in the two districts aimed at curbing mob justice and dispelling myths surrounding the allegations.
Nice, with funding from the European Union (EU), is conducting the campaign in collaboration with the Nsanje District Council and the Malawi Police Service (MPS).
Speaking during a whistle-stop civic education campaign organised on Friday at Ntowe Market in Nyachilenda, Nsanje South Constituency, Nsanje Nice district programme officer Kondwani Malunga urged communities to immediately stop taking the law into their own hands.
“The objective of these whistle-stop campaigns is to dispel rumours spread by irresponsible individuals, which created fear among communities and resulted in the brutal killing of innocent people,” said Malunga.
“We are informing the public that individuals who claimed their sexual organs had disappeared were medically examined, and the results confirmed that their organs were intact and functioning normally.
“Those who spread false claims, together with individuals involved in the killings, have since been arrested and will answer various charges, including murder,” he added.
Malunga condemned mob justice, reminding citizens that taking the law into their own hands violates constitutional rights and due process.
He said Nice will continue implementing interventions such as panel discussions on community radio stations, whistle-stop tours, football bonanzas, village meetings and engagement with faith and traditional leaders to restore peace and public trust.
“These interventions will be rolled out across all areas in Nsanje District to prevent further escalation of mob justice incidents,” he said.
Speaking at the same event, Nsanje Police Victim Support Unit coordinator Gloria Nyimbiri urged citizens to report suspected wrongdoing to authorities such as traditional leaders and the police rather than resorting to violence.
Nyimbiri also warned traditional healers and self-proclaimed prophets against making false claims that they can restore allegedly missing sexual organs.
“There is no record from Nsanje or Chikwawa district hospitals showing that anyone’s genital organs disappeared. Those spreading such misinformation are committing an offence and risk arrest,” she said.
Traditional Authority Ndamera commended Nice for the campaign, saying it will help transform people’s mindset and reduce panic within communities.
The chief urged fellow traditional leaders to reassure their subjects that there is no evidence of disappearing genital organs and encouraged people to remain calm and continue trusting one another.
Nsanje District Commissioner Dr Sandram Naluso also hailed the intervention, describing it as crucial in combating misinformation and restoring sanity within communities.
“As a council, we are pleased with Nice and we are working together to uproot these evil acts that have spread across our district and caused havoc,” he said.
Naluso further appealed to chiefs to work collectively in ending the spread of false information.



